Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sleepy-Eyed Joe

I had a really busy week. A full week at the Daily Fix, with my esteemed co-dude Nando DiFino on his honeymoon, and a bunch of reporting and other writing and phone calls and suchlike. I got a lot of work -- most excitingly, I'll be working on a running blog with the ultra-great Bethlehem "Nathaniel Friedman" Shoals at GQ.com during the NBA Playoffs, and reviewing a book for my CSTB-mate Ben Schwartz at the Los Angeles Review of Books -- and I even got a little bit of work done. The thing I'm proudest of, even including my inexplicable stuffed crust pizza cri de coeur, is my second piece for my close personal homeguy Ben Polk's mighty Wolf Among Wolves blog. It's half a report from the (un-televised!) Nets/Timberwolves game on Tuesday, and also another tilt at the Nets Make Me Sad windmill for me. I'm happy with the way it turned out, and always glad to get some burn at that mightiest of NBA-affiliated blogs.

But as usually happens after a busy week with more work than sleep in it, I am pretty tired on this Saturday afternoon. And the frankly comatose Joe Buck, who is sleep-announcing this already sluggish Red Sox/Yankees game on Fox, is not helping. As I type this, Buck is giving a performance so hilariously soporific and drowsy as to make a talking-in-his-sleep Brit Hume sound like Al Pacino in "Devil's Advocate." Cheer up, Joe Buck, it's not that bad. I mean, the sitting next to Tim McCarver is probably pretty bad, admittedly. But nothing is as sad as you currently sound. It's like he's doing play-by-play on a famine.

No comments:

Post a Comment